The chapel offers a lovely space for prayer, worship and concerts and can comfortably seat about 150 people. More importantly, it has been described by guests as a ‘thin place’, where heaven and earth appear to interconnect.
A distinctive listed building
Designed by George Pace (one of the leading ecclesiastical architects of his day), this distinctive Grade-II* listed building was built in 1958-61. According to British Listed Buildings, the chapel is:
“one of Pace’s best churches, deceptive in its simplicity and design, using local materials `to appear to grow out of the dale’, as Pace intended. It is also liturgically advanced for its date in England, with its free-standing altar placed in front of the side wall.”
Only a few twentieth-century buildings within the Yorkshire Dales National Park have been listed, which makes our chapel doubly special, and the unusual, steeply pitched roof is visible from the other side of the dale.
There is a sound system with mixing desk, mics for singers and speakers, and channels for instruments (piano, keyboard, drum kit, acoustic guitar and bass). There are also high-quality data projectors, WIFI and laptop.