Scargill’s most important mission is to provide space for the mysterious transforming love of God to work in people’s lives.
Prayer, genuine caring hospitality and the equipping of individuals and churches for mission are all very important to us too.
Scargill Movement is a registered charity which was set up in 2009 expressly to purchase Scargill House in the spectacular Yorkshire Dales, to enable it to continue as a Christian centre. Many of our trustees have long-standing connections with the original Scargill House and/or with Lee Abbey. Today, the Scargill Community continues to welcome people to the Scargill House holiday, conference and retreat centre, just as originally intended in 1959.
The power of hospitality
For over 50 years, the hospitality offered in this beautiful place has provided a space for people to encounter God and for Him to work in their lives. Gospel hospitality is about giving God’s welcome, a reception both generous and unconditional. As one of our Pathway promises puts it (our rule of life): “We can learn and improve in our efforts to strengthen the bonds of love and in our determination to welcome visitors and strangers as we would welcome Jesus himself.”
At Scargill, we hope that our resident community, our landscape and our expression of spirituality will prove enjoyable, inspirational and even, at times, challenging for those who pass through.
Scargill’s community is reflective of God’s kingdom, made up of Christians from different denominations, from all over the world. They live on the estate, working to deliver our vision, and offer hospitality to our guests in an atmosphere of “love, laughter and life”. Community members make a commitment to serve for a fixed time, and agree to live by the Scargill Pathway Promises https://scargillmovement.org/community/rule-of-life/
To fulfill our vision and aims it is important that the Community is made up of families, couples and single people from the UK, Europe and all over the world. People come to serve for a variety of reasons including gap years, retired people and international volunteers. Some are taking a career break to consider where God is leading them to next and others have made a longer term commitment to raise their families with us. We are greatly committed to having members from outside the EU, supporting our work on a temporary basis and enriching the international flavour of Community life.
The Community is often changing, due to the nature of the limited time commitment people make, but remains a place of love, support and friendship.
Our vision and values
- a Christian movement with its home in the Yorkshire Dales, where an intentional community representing many Christian traditions is committed to a common rule of life and service.
- that lives are transformed by the love of God in Jesus Christ.
- through hospitality to all, to share lives changed by faith
- to send our guests home with new vision and purpose
- to model and promote responsible stewardship of creation
- to help guests and community alike to gain and be enriched by a vision for community
- a resident, caring community of people with prayer at their heart
- hospitality to individuals and groups, challenging programmes and outdoor activities, especially for young people
- resources and training for Christian mission and service
- opportunities for creativity and personal development
- a community practising both ecological and sustainable stewardship of God’s creation.