Scargill is a peaceful place in a spectacular location — just the sort of place to escape from it all and blow the cobwebs away.
People relax in different ways at Scargill House:
- There’s plenty of room to spread out and do what you like — chat, think, pray, meditate, or even bring your knitting. Some weeks are more suited to this than others. If peace and quiet is your thing speak to us first and we can find just the right time for you.
- We have about 90 acres of meadow and woodland set on limestone terracing. It can take an hour to walk around the estate… and there are breath-taking views to be enjoyed.
- Scargill’s beautiful Walled Garden has been lovingly restored by our community members and volunteers. It’s a great place to wander around, pray or to read.
- Our quirky library contains lots of up-to-date books, should you want to curl up in a corner and read.
- We have games including a three-quarter-size snooker table, table tennis tables, table football, jigsaws and more.
- The bird feeders just outside the Sun Lounge let you see wild birds and squirrels up close.
- If you are visiting with under 5’s, please feel free to spend time with them in our crèche.
Getting out and about
Of course, this being the fantastic Yorkshire Dales, there are lots of local attractions to keep you busy if you’d like to explore beyond the estate.
Retail and communications therapy (optional!)
Our shop offers a range of gifts, cards, books, drinks and snacks, and a few essential toiletries in case you’ve forgotten something. And if you really can’t be away from your emails and social networking, Wi-Fi is now available in most parts of the house. Mobile phone reception is limited, Vodaphone is good and O2 is improving.