Scargill’s Community is made up of Community Members supplemented by International Community Volunteers. Together they represent Christians from different denominations and from all over the world. They live on the estate, serving alongside Community Members to deliver our vision and offer hospitality to our guests in an atmosphere of ‘love, laughter and life’.
Are you interested in joining us as an International Community Volunteer? We would love to hear from you and we would be happy to have a chat and to talk you through the current regulations.
If so there are some things you need to know:
- Through our new International Community Volunteer Programme we’re able to offer a limited number of placements to those wishing to join us from outside the UK. You’d be serving alongside Community Members and would be an integral part of the Community, immersed in all aspects of community life.
- Although being accepted on the programme is an excellent opportunity to improve your English language skills, you will already need to have a good standard of written and spoken English to be eligible for a place on the programme.
- As you live in community you will experience a relevant authentic expression of Christian faith in today’s world through our life together, sharing a common rule of life including our rhythm of prayer.
- You will be asked to accept and agree to live by the Scargill Pathway Promises and to be actively involved in the daily rhythm of prayer, community meetings and pathway groups.
- Our weekly Community focus day is when we share communion together and where our main gospel and community teaching takes place. This is also a time to openly and honestly, share and discuss our faith together as Community. We hope that you would have much to offer to the diversity of these conversations.
- You will experience and add to the richness of different traditions and cultures in worship and prayer.
- You will have the opportunity of joining a variety of teams, gaining a wide experience and developing an understanding of how the roles of hospitality and generosity play in the life of community and how they lead to ‘Lives Shared lives Transformed’.
- There will be regular opportunities for you to join our Host Team – supporting our guests and visitors both practically, socially and spiritually.
- You will support Community by assisting in the day to day running of Scargill House through working alongside other Community Members in preparing meals or getting the house ready for guests and visitors.
- You will be encouraged to take responsibility and develop leadership skills through hosting, leading community prayers, leading guest prayers , leading workshops and walks and participating fully in community meetings etc.
- There will an be induction programme, regular supervision and two reviews.
- Pastoral support is offered.
- The International Community Volunteer Programme offers placements of up to 12 months.
- We do not accept applications for this programme from those with young families.
If you think this could be you, and you feel a calling to join us as an International Community Volunteer then we’d love to hear from you. To register your interest, please select the ‘International Community Volunteer Programme’ option from the drop down menu under Join Community. We look forward to hearing from you.
Note on visas:
Those wishing to take advantage of this opportunity would need to ensure that they have in place a valid visa prior to travelling to the UK to begin the placement. Typically, this involves the applicant applying for a Tier 5 Temporary Charity Worker visa with sponsorship of the visa provided by Scargill. Visa applications would be submitted by the applicant to the British Embassy within their own country. Further information is included within the information pack sent to those who register an interest in becoming an International Community Volunteer. You can also find out more about the requirements from the UK Visas and Immigration website (part of the UK Home Office service).